Wednesday 5 October 2016

Cross Roads





Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost-

There are moments in our lives where we find ourselves at a crossroad, afraid, confused, without a road map. The choices we make in those moments can define the rest of our days.

I was at a crossroad not too long ago. And it killed me. I had a very tough decision to make- well it turned out to be not so tough  in the end. I had three guys to pick from. Scratch that, I had two boys and a man to choose from. And like a game of chess, it all came down to strategy. One boy did me a solid by eliminating himself due to impatience, insecurity and an attitude of entitlement. 
One down, one to go. The semi finals were over, and the final round was fast approaching- one boy vs one man. 
Anticipation rising, heart beats racing- this match would be the end, and yet the beginning. 
Team boy came prepared armed to the teeth, tongue laced with honey, determined to win at all costs, by any means necessary "it shall be done!". 
Team man wanted to win, he needed to win! His life depended on it but he wasn't willing to compromise his integrity- this was his stumbling block. 

After much anticipation, the day was finally here. The match that would change it all. That defining moment in the story of our lives.
Pre-match warm-up: Team Boy put on a colourful show, taking every opportunity to show off, throwing jabs and talking smack.
The match began.
Team Boy was leading by many points 
His arrogance was his kryptonite. He believed the odds were in his favour.
He played really well but he dipped into his bag of tricks a bit too often with his drop shots. He had a great touch and it proved effective but he really overdid it. He bragged that he was unlikely to break a sweat. First set 6-2.

Second set: really a poor serving effort from Team boy. He went for big serves, hitting double faults at three crucial times. 

Team Man kept his cool and waited for his opponent to burn himself out.
If it's tricks you want, Team Man had a few up his sleeve, saving the best for last, he came up with a beauty when he chased down a Team Boy shot and smacked a backhand pass down the line. We say "formidable"!
What a come back!
Game, set, Match! 
Team Man all the way with a 6-1 6-2win.

Our choices are made clear in hindsight. I feel that every thing in my life has led me to you. My choices, my heartbreaks, my mistakes, my tears, my regrets- everything! And when we're together, my past seems worth it because if I had done one thing differently, I might never have met him. 
Choosing him = choosing what was (and will forever be) best for me.So in actual fact, I didn't choose him. I chose me!

One single decision can and has changed my whole life.
Never again will I wonder where that other road might have led, because my destination is... 
wherever he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment